Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Gold Rush!

Every painter is on the look out for a good gold face paint. I started with TAG Pearl Gold and it's actually pretty good  and I LOVE it mixed with Pearl Copper in a split for leopards and girly tigers. It's only drawback is it seems a little light on the skin because it's a bright gold. I got some Mehron Gold powder after I took Pashur's body painting class, which is amazing mixed with mixing liquid and I used that with my TAG for awhile and liked it. It is a little messy and I'm a little afraid I'm going to dump to much or it will tip over and make a big powdery mess.

Then I tried the FAB Gold Shimmer because another painter sponged it on my arm and it really shined...however, on the job I've had a really hard time using it with a brush and it seems to have a hard time leaving my sponge...I know, so scientific..but that's what it feels like. I usually end up laying it down and then having to go over it but it is a great shimmer when I finally get there...but it feels tooooo long.

Recently I'd heard good things about the Paradise new Brilliant line. I loved the silver when Lizz Daley let me try hers at a jam. I wasn't impressed with the Gold...so why did I buy it? PEER PRESSURE! :) I don't think they changed the original recipe from the original. It reminds me of the gold I dug out of the Paradise 30 pot palette I bought. I have to dip my brush about 3 times just to make it liquid enough to use with a brush and then there is too much paint in the brush.

When I was brushing I tried to stay pretty consistent. I would dip my filbert or round, tap on the towel and load until I got smooth paint. I had a hard time with Paradise and had to add a lot of water and brush a little wetter and goopier than I'm comfortable with. When I added the Mehron powder, I would tap off the wet brush, dip it into the powder to pick up a touch and then work it up as usual. It usually required a little more water. The powder would also give the golds a slight tint so it looked more like Paradise gold.

So, here are the golds in the pot:

Here's a collage of the results:


My Conclusion:
TAG Gold and FAB Shimmer had about the same shine brushed on. TAG is a little easier and smoother when wetted and FAB would poop-out on my brush. The last upper teardrops became almost non-existent. All of the paints were shinier with the Mehron Powder but surprisingly, FAB behaved the best with it added in. It seem to make up for FAB's failings. My wish is that Mehron will do to the gold what they did to the silver which is put the powder in the paint so there is no additive stage.

D.

No comments: