Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Black Breathing

I'm determined to get miners lung I guess. I took down the shutters and hung them on the newly demolished wall downstairs because I hadn't removed all the drywall screws yet. I hung them up, opened the window for air, put on a mask and latex gloves and fired up the spray can.

I didn't really feel like it was hard to breathe or anything. The cramping in my finger (the bruise I felt for days) was worse but when I went to the bathroom I got a surprise. All around the bridge of my nose was black as coal. I guess drawing breath through the mask created a suction and drew the paint fumes in.

The shutters look great on the house. It really classed the front up. I also painted the trim around the door white and touched up the trim around the garage. Someone even asked when I painted the garage door...I didn't. I also painted the south garage door that was all green with white trim and flat beige paint and the back french doors.

To finish up the trim I put new white corners in to replace the aluminum ones that were ripped up and bent. That was a job because vinyl trim corners are designed to fit UNDER the siding so I had to cut off all the flanges and trim it down to slide onto the corner.

Lessons Learned:
Spray painting inside is usually not a good idea at all. I was lucky to have a room that needed to be painted top to bottom but how many times do we have one of those.

Don't try to match the siding when you are replacing the corners. I used the white that matched the soffit trim and it looks like it is custom. If I'd used the almond color it wouldn't have matched exactly and would have called attention to the fix.

No comments: